Before you arrive at the studio, there are a couple of things that will help your recording session go smoother. Our studios connect to the mics using a RØDECaster Pro interface, which you use to record.
You have two recording options, either record onto your laptop, or directly onto a microSD. We've explained more about each option before.
A. Recording with your laptop:
To record on your laptop, you’ll need a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) installed. We like Ableton, Logic Pro X and Garageband, but it’s up to your individual knowledge and preference.
You also need a USB C cable - the Rodecaster has got a USB C port, so you will need a cable that suits your laptop ports too. We usually stock a USB C to USB A cable in our spares room, however we recommend bringing your own as backup.
IMPORTANT: PC users will need to download and install the third-party audio driver ASIO4All for it to work correctly with your DAW. Once downloaded:
- Go to the Windows Start Menu and open ASIO4ALL Offline Settings.
- Select your interface by clicking the button next to it. It will light up blue when selected.
- Open the input/playback settings menu of your DAW and select ASIO4ALL as the input/playback device. See below for your DAW settings menu.
Make sure to set up your laptop and the Rodecaster just like this video shows:
- Connect the USB C cable from the back of the Rodecaster to your laptop
- Set your laptop's Input/Output device as "Rodecaster Multichannel" for up to 4 separate track recordings or "Rodecaster Stereo" for left and right recording in a single stereo track
- Open your recording software (eg. Ableton), choose the same audio Input/output settings
- Set up as many tracks as needed [up to 4 mono tracks for "Multichannel" or 1 stereo track for "Stereo"] then arm them ready for recording
- Hit record and speak into each mic to test if audio is coming through.
Please visit this page for more info: https://www.rode.com/user-guides/rodecasterpro/recording-to-a-computer-via-usb
B. Recording with a microSD card:
You can also choose to record directly from the RØDECaster onto a microSD card, and import the audio to a DAW for editing later. Please bring a microSD card to your session as they’re not supplied. Here are the recommended brands.
- Towards the left of the back of the device, there will be a slot to fit your microSD card.
- Simply push the micro SD (logo facing up) into the slot until it stays in; you will feel a click when it's set.
- On the touchscreen, you will see a microSD symbol when your card is recognised.
- Using the hardware menu you can check the capacity of your microSD card and erase/format it if needed. It will erase ALL microSD card data, so proceed with extreme caution.
- Push the microSD card to eject it. Do not pull the card out or as this will damage both the card and the Rodecaster Pro port.
Connecting by phone — accept calls/play music
You’ll either need a Bluetooth-enabled phone or bring your own AUX cable to connect your phone to the AUX input at the back of the RØDECaster interface.
Do you need more help with this?