Here's how to quickly set up your laptop to record and play back through the Clarett 4 Pre USB interface.
NOTE: You will find a USB A to USB C cable in the room already; in some cases a USB C to USB C for newer laptops. If you cannot find one at the back of the desk, text us on WhatsApp or use live chat at support.pirate.com and we will help you move to a different room.
How to setup: LAPTOP TO INTERFACE TO SPEAKERS
- Make sure you have the power cable plugged in on the back of the interface and turn on the power button. Its front lights should turn on.
- Now let's plug the USB C end of the cable into the USB port [red circle] and the other end into your laptop. Let's also connect the two yellow speaker cables into LINE OUTPUTS 1-2 ports [blue circle]. Make sure the speakers are switched on and show the power light.
IMPORTANT: Only LINE OUTPUTS 1-2 will work!
- We should now see 3 green lights on the front of the interface. If you're only seeing 2 green lights at the front and you're missing the middle one, the USB cable may not be fully plugged in, it may not be the right cable (sometimes we keep 2 different ends at the back) or the cable may be broken. Please check that the USB C cable at the back of the interface is fully inserted in and it is the same one that goes directly into your laptop. If not, please swap the cable ends so that the interface connects directly into your laptop.
- Finally, open your Mac/Windows audio settings and choose the Clarett 4 Pre USB as both your Input and Output device. Repeat the same process for your recording software; eg. Logic Pro X > Preferences > Audio > Device.
How to setup: MIC & HEADPHONES TO INTERFACE
- Make sure the red XLR cable that is plugged into the microphone, is properly connected to the wall port and from the other side of the wall it goes into Channel 1 on the interface (first one on the left).
Now engage the small 48V button next to channel 1 which will turn solid red. Increase the volume gain knob to at least the 12 o'clock position. Test the mic by speaking into it - the gain knob should be flashing green whenever you speak.
- Let's turn the monitor dial up to the desired level while listening to some music. Audio should be playing back through the speakers now.
- Lastly, if you need to monitor via the headphones, we need to check that they have been plugged into the correct inputs on the front right side of the interface - control room headphones into the left port; booth headphones into the right one, via an extension cable from the booth. Turn up their volume to the desired amount.
Check that all MIC switches are in the middle position. Here's Plastician showing how to do this.
If you've followed all these steps and you still cannot hear properly through the HEADPHONES:
- Try plugging them into your phone to check that they're actually working. If so, the extension cable or the wall port in the booth may be damaged. Try bypassing the wall and plug the headphones directly into the interface or try a new extension cable.
- Reset the Clarett 4 Pre USB using the latest version of Focusrite Control. Here's how to do it.
If you've followed all these steps and you still cannot hear audio through the SPEAKERS:
- Make sure they're both showing the power light. If not, switch them on at the back.
- Make sure they're plugged into the LINE OUTPUTS 1-2 ports at the back of the interface. Only these ports will work!
Is the audio glitching or cutting in and out? Try this solution.